top of page

Can my family members join me in the UK if I am on a Skilled Worker visa?

If you have been granted a Skilled Worker visa and you are already in the UK, your family member(s), such as your partner or child(ren), can join you. Your family member(s) would need to complete a separate application(s) as ‘dependants’.

Your dependants can also submit their applications alongside your application for the Skilled Worker visa. There is a chance that you could arrive in the UK together if granted visas.

A dependant partner or child is defined as:

  • Your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner;

  • Your child under 18, including if they were born in the UK during your stay;

  • Your child over 18, if they are currently in the UK as your dependant.

If you would like your partner to join you, it is important that you are able to prove that you are either in a civil partnership, or marriage recognised in the UK, or have been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply. If you have not lived with your partner for at least two years, there might be a different immigration route available to your partner. It is important to note that proving a relationship between you and your dependent(s) is a vital part of the application.

If you would like your child(ren) to apply to join you, they must currently be living with you. The exception to this rule is if your child is living away from home for full-time education, for example, at boarding school (you would need to provide proof of that). Your child also cannot be married or in a civil partnership to qualify as your dependant.

Your dependants would need to prove that they have a certain amount of funds available to them in order to maintain themselves whilst they are in the UK. You can provide your financial documents in support of your dependants’ applications. The current financial requirements are as follows:

  • £285 for your partner;

  • £315 for the first child; and

  • £200 for each additional child.


- You would need to have £600 to bring your partner and one child with you to the UK (£285 for your partner and £315 for your child)

- You would also need to have £1,270 available to support yourself for your own application.

You - or your partner or child - will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of you or them applying for this visa.

You will usually need to show proof of this when they apply unless either:

· you have all been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months

· your employer can cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK - this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship

Contact us today to find out more.


bottom of page