top of page
Office Building Hall

Secondment Worker visa

The secondment worker visa is for individuals who are undertaking a temporary work assignment in the UK for the purposes of a high value contract or investment by their overseas employer.

green tick

What you can do

  • Work in the UK for up to 12 months

  • Study

  • Bring your dependants

  • Extend your visa

  • Switch to different visa

Red X Mark

What you can't do

  • Receive public funds

  • Work in any role other than that which your sponsor has assigned to you

  • Settle in the UK



Valid Passport

You must have a valid passport to apply.

Existing Employment

You must already be employed by the overseas business or be a self-employed professional.

Current Immigration Status

You cannot switch to the service supplier visa if you currently hold any of the following visas:

  • Visitor

  • Short-term student

  • Parent of a child student

  • Seasonal worker

  • Domestic worker in a private household

  • Leave outside the Immigration Rules

Temporary Worker Licence

Your UK sponsor will need a valid 'Temporary Worker' licence with an A-rating in order to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

Certificate of Sponsorship

You must have a valid CoS confirming key details including your job, occupation code, salary, and start date.

Genuine Job

The job you are coming to the UK to undertake must not have been created mainly for you to be able to apply for this visa.

Valid Contract

Your UK sponsor will need to have a contract with your overseas service provider which is registered with the Home Office.

Professional Experience

You must have worked for your overseas employer for at least 12 months.


Unless you have already been in the UK for 12 months or longer, you will need to show you have at least £1,270 held in your account for the 28 days prior to making the application.

English Language

There is no English language requirement for this route.


You may require a tuberculosis test depending on which country you are applying from. You could also be required to provide a criminal record certificate. 

The application fee for a secondment worker visa is currently £298.

You will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge of £1,035 per year.

Term & Fees

Green Bar

You can stay on the secondment worker visa for either 12 months after the start date on your CoS or the time given on your CoS plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.


ukvi processing time

The current processing time for the secondment worker visa is approximately 3 weeks for applications made outside the UK and

8 weeks for applications from inside the UK. You may be able to get a faster decision by paying for an enhanced service.


Next Steps

If your application for a secondment worker visa is successful, you will receive a new biometric residence permit confirming the length and conditions of your permission to remain in the United Kingdom.

If your application for a secondment worker visa is refused, you will receive a refusal letter outlining the reasons. You may consider applying for an administrative review if you believe an incorrect decision has been made based on a casework error. Alternatively, a fresh application may be more appropriate.

Next Step

Next Steps

If you want to remain in the UK beyond your secondment worker visa, you can apply to extend it from within the UK if:

  • You are still contracted to work for the same UK sponsor who issued your CoS

  • You are working on the same contract your overseas employer has with your UK sponsor

  • You have not reached the maximum total stay (maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period).

Are you interested in making an application?

Use this form to fill in your information and one of our partners will get in touch to discuss your needs.

Thanks for your message.

We will aim to reply to you within 1 working day.

bottom of page