top of page
Factory Pipelines

Service Supplier visa

The service supplier visa may be suitable if you are undertaking temporary work assignments in the UK to provide a service covered by one of the UK's international trade agreements.

green tick

What you can do

  • Work in the UK for either 6 or 12 months, depending on the type of trade agreement

  • Study

  • Bring your dependants

  • Extend your visa

  • Switch to different visa

red x

What you can't do

  • Receive public funds

  • Work in any role other than that which your sponsor has assigned to you

  • Settle in the UK



Valid Passport

You must have a valid passport to apply.

Existing Employment

You must already be employed by the overseas business or be a self-employed professional.

Current Immigration Status

You cannot switch to the service supplier visa if you currently hold any of the following visas:

  • Visitor

  • Short-term student

  • Parent of a child student

  • Seasonal worker

  • Domestic worker in a private household

  • Leave outside the Immigration Rules

Temporary Worker Licence

Your sponsor will need a valid 'Temporary Worker' licence with an A-rating in order to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

Certificate of Sponsorship

You must have a valid CoS confirming key details including your job, occupation code, salary, and start date.

Genuine Job

The job you are coming to the UK to undertake must not have been created mainly for you to be able to apply for this visa.

Valid Contract

Your sponsor will need to have a contract with an overseas service provider which is registered with the Home Office and for a service covered by one of the UK's international trade agreements.

Professional Experience

You must have relevant experience in the sector in which you will supply services. The requirements are normally 3 years' work experience or 6 years' self-employed experience.


Unless you have already been in the UK for 12 months or longer, you will need to show you have at least £1,270 held in your account for the 28 days prior to making the application.

English Language

There is no English language requirement for this route.


You may require a tuberculosis test depending on which country you are applying from. You could also be required to provide a criminal record certificate. 

The application fee for a graduate trainee visa is currently £298.

You will have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge of £1,035 per year.

Term & Fees

green bar

You can stay on the service supplier visa for either 6 or 12 months, depending on the trade agreement you are providing services under.


ukvi processing time

The current processing time for the service supplier visa is approximately 3 weeks. You may be able to get a faster decision by paying for an enhanced service.


Next Steps

If your application for a service supplier visa is successful, you will receive a new biometric residence permit confirming the length and conditions of your permission to remain in the United Kingdom.

If your application for a service supplier visa is refused, you will receive a refusal letter outlining the reasons. You may consider applying for an administrative review if you believe an incorrect decision has been made based on a casework error. Alternatively, a fresh application may be more appropriate.

Next Step

Next Steps

If you want to remain in the UK beyond your service supplier visa, you can apply to extend it from within the UK if:

  • You are still contracted to work for the same sponsor who issued your CoS

  • You have not reached the maximum total stay (maximum of 5 years in any 6 year period).

  • Your job, qualifications and experience continue to meet the requirements

Are you interested in making an application?

Use this form to fill in your information and one of our partners will get in touch to discuss your needs.

Thanks for your message.

We will aim to reply to you within 1 working day.

bottom of page