top of page

Minister of Religion Visa or Religious Worker Visa?

The UK's immigration rules make provisions for people who hold certain roles within a faith-based organisation to enter and stay in the UK. This post will review the differences between the two main visa options for applicants: the Minister of Religion visa (T2) and the Religious Worker visa (Temporary Work).

religious people standing in a group in front of clouds

What is the Minister of Religion visa?

The Minister of Religion (T2) visa is designed for people who hold a key leading role within a faith-based organisation or a religious order in the UK.

What is the Religious Worker visa?

The Religious Worker visa is designed for people who want to support the activities of religious institutions in the UK by conducting religious work such as working in a religious order or undertaking non-pastoral work for a religious organisation.

What is the main difference between them?

Both the Minister of Religion visa and Religious Worker visa require a sponsoring organisation authorised by UKVI to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for the specific role. Under the Minister of Religion route, an applicant can normally be sponsored to live and work in the UK for up to 3 years, whereas applicants under the Religious Worker route will only be permitted to stay for up to 2 years. Both routes allow dependants (partners and children) to join, but only the Minister of Religion visa is a route to settlement (indefinite leave to remain). The Minister of Religion visa has an English Language requirement, whereas the Religious Worker visa does not. Both routes also have a financial requirement which requires applicants to have funds of at least £1,270 held in their account for a 28-day period unless their sponsoring organisation is willing to maintain and accommodate them for the first month of employment.

Table of differences between Minister of Religion visa and Religious Worker visa


Contact us today if you think you could be eligible for a UK visa on the basis of your religious work or affiliations.


bottom of page