top of page

The Immigration Route for Healthcare Professionals

The Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job with the NHS, an NHS supplier or in adult social care. Interestingly, Skilled Worker – Health and Care’ visa grants to main applicants have risen over two and half times (+171%) to around 101,570, in part due to the expansion in late 2021 for ‘Care Workers and Home Carers’ and ‘Senior Care Workers’.

Immigration Route for Healthcare Professionals :

The Process

To apply for a Health and Care Worker visa in the UK, you need to follow a specific process. Here is a step-by-step guide:

Determine your eligibility

Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria for the Health and Care Worker visa. Generally, this visa is for healthcare professionals who have a confirmed job offer in the UK’s health and care sector. You must also be sponsored by a UK employer who holds a valid sponsor license. Before you can find out if your job is eligible, you need to know its 4-digit occupation code. Your job must be in one of the following occupation codes to qualify for the Health and Care Worker visa:

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors

  • 1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors

  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists

  • 2113: physical scientists

  • 2211: medical practitioners

  • 2212: psychologists

  • 2213: pharmacists

  • 2214: ophthalmic opticians

  • 2215: dental practitioners

  • 2217: medical radiographers

  • 2218: podiatrists

  • 2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as audiologists

  • and occupational health advisers

  • 2221: physiotherapists

  • 2222: occupational therapists

  • 2223: speech and language therapists

  • 2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as osteopaths

  • and psychotherapists

  • 2231: nurses

  • 2232: midwives

  • 2442: social workers

  • 3111: laboratory technicians

  • 3213: paramedics

  • 3216: dispensing opticians

  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians

  • 3218: medical and dental technicians

  • 3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified

  • 6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants

  • 6143: dental nurses

  • 6145: care workers and home carers

  • 6146: senior care workers

Secure a job offer

Find a job in the UK’s health and care sector and obtain a written job offer from a licensed sponsor. The employer will need to provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number, which you will need for your application.

Gather supporting documents

Collect all the necessary documents to support your application. This typically includes your valid passport or travel document, proof of English language proficiency, your tuberculosis test results (if applicable), and evidence of your qualifications and professional registration. We can assist you with gathering all the necessary documents for your application.

Complete the online application

You will need to provide us with personal information, details about your job offer, and your immigration history, among other things. We will take care of filling out the application for you.

Pay the application fee

You will need to pay the visa application fee, which can vary depending on factors such as the duration of your visa and whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK. You do not need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) to access the National Health Service (NHS) during your stay.

Biometric information

Once your online application is submitted and paid for, you will need to schedule an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC) to provide your biometric information, including fingerprints and a photograph. If you are applying from within the UK, you may have the option to use the UK Immigration: ID Check app instead.

Submit supporting documents

Along with your biometric information, you will need to submit your supporting documents at the VAC or as per the instructions provided by the UK Visas and Immigration. We will be able to assist you with this to guarantee no important documents are left out, and no unhelpful documents are included.

Attend an interview (if required)

In some cases, you may be required to attend an interview at the VAC or provide additional documents. If an interview is necessary, make sure to prepare for it by reviewing your application and the details of your job offer.

Decision and collection

Once your application has been processed, you will be informed of the decision. If your application is approved, you will receive a vignette in your passport, allowing you to travel to the UK. Upon arrival, you will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days from a designated Post Office branch.

If you are interested in making an application for a Health and Care Worker visa or just want to find out a bit more about the process, contact us, and we will be happy to discuss it with you.

Those are the most important immigration route for healthcare professionals.


bottom of page