top of page

How to replace a Biometric Residence Permit in 2024

Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is the most important proof of your right to live, work or study in the UK. It's usually required by employers, landlords and educational institutions, and is also crucial whenever you want to return to the UK after a period of absence abroad. As with most important documents, sometimes they get lost, stolen or misplaced. This guide will tell you the steps you have to take to seek a replacement from UKVI.

Who can apply for a replacement BRP?

You can apply for a replacement if your BRP has been lost, damaged or stolen in the UK. You can also apply if you have indefinite leave to remain and your BRP has expired.

When should I apply for a replacement BRP?

You must apply for a replacement within three months of becoming aware that a replacement is needed, for whatever reason.

How can I apply for a replacement BRP?

You must first report your BRP as lost or stolen by following these steps.

Step 1

If your BRP has been stolen, you must report this to the police.

You can visit your local police force's website to see if you can do this online. Otherwise, you can attend a local station and report it in person.

Step 2

You must then use UKVI's designated website for reporting a lost or stolen BRP.

Once you have reported your BRP as lost or stolen to UKVI, you can make a request for a replacement using the online portal. You should have the following information ready before you start your application:

  1. What type of visa, leave to enter or remain (or other permission) you have to be in the UK

  2. Details of any absences from the UK over 6 continuous months in duration.

  3. Any changes to your core details since your last BRP was issued (e.g. name, nationality, facial appearance, or sex).

  4. Details of your BRP, including number, place of issue, issue date, and expiry.

  5. If applicable, details of how your BRP was damaged.

After you have completed your application form, you will see an automatically generated document checklist. This will contain the mandatory documents you must submit with your application. You will normally have to provide proof of address and (if applicable) your damaged BRP. Once you have paid the application fee, which is currently £56, your application will be submitted and you must schedule an appointment to enrol your biometric data at UKVCAS.

I lost my BRP outside the UK

If you lost your BRP outside the UK, you must report it as lost or stolen using the same UKVI website. However, you won't be able to apply for a replacement from outside the UK. Instead, you must apply for a one-time replacement BRP visa to allow you entry to the UK after which you can apply for a replacement BRP from within the UK using the process outlined above.

I reported my lost BRP and later found it

If you find your BRP after reporting it as lost and/or applying for a replacement, it will no longer be valid for use. You should wait for your new BRP to arrive before cutting your old BRP into several pieces and sending it to UKVI by post to the following address: Returns Unit, PO Box 195, Bristol, BS20 1BT.


If you require assistance with making an application for a replacement BRP, or your circumstances are not covered in this blog post, contact us today to discuss your specific needs.


bottom of page