top of page

How to request access to your immigration information from the Home Office

If you want to review the personal information the Home Office has about you in preparation for a new application, or you're simply curious about your immigration history, you can make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act 2018.

What is a Subject Access Request?

A Subject Access Request (SAR) is a request by you to an organisation asking whether or not they are using or storing your personal information, and, if so, for a copy of the information.

Can I make a Subject Access Request to the Home Office?

Yes. The Home Office's Subject Access Request Unit (SARU) is designed to deal with requests for information held by the immigration, citizenship, and Border Force units.

Can the Subject Access Request Unit confirm my immigration status?

No. There are other ways to prove your immigration status, right to work, and right to rent.

How can I make a Subject Access Request?

If you have a UK address, you can use the online form to make your request.

If you do not have a UK address, you must email your request instead.

You can also apply by post by writing to: Subject Access Request Unit (SARU), Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY.

How much does a Subject Access Request cost?

There is no fee for a Subject Access Request. This applies to online, email and paper requests.

Can I include a request for my dependants or other people?

No. Each person whose information is required will need to make their own Subject Access Request.

What type of requests can I make?

There are 3 types of Subject Access Request.

Basic Request

This is the most common type of request. It can provide you with any of the following types of records:

  • Summary of immigration history from electronic systems

  • Electronically held landing cards

  • Outside of the UK visa applications

  • Workers Registration Scheme printouts (for nationals of Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia).

  • Entry and exit into and out of the UK.

Specific Request

This type of request is suitable when you know exactly what type of document(s) you need. You can request copies of up to 5 single documents, including:

  • A list of your applications

  • A particular decision letter

  • The outcome of an appeal (determination)

  • A particular detention progress report

  • A deportation order

  • A particular interview record

Detailed Request

If you need more information than the single documents in the Specific Request list, you can make a Detailed Request. This type of request will provide you with a summary of your immigration history from the Home Office's electronic systems. If further information is required, you should specify exactly what type of information is needed. For example, Home Office files (including Port and Asylum Support) or detention records.

How long will it take to receive my immigration information?

Once you have submitted your request, you will have 15 days to provide the mandatory supporting documents to confirm your identity. This will include a copy of your photo ID, a letter of authority, and proof of your relationship (if you are applying for a child under the age of 12). The Subject Access Request Unit will then process your request within 1 month of receiving all of the information.

An example of a covering letter from SARU enclosing information as part of a

Basic Request.


bottom of page