top of page

How to satisfy the financial requirement for the UK Standard visitor visa

You can visit the UK as a Standard Visitor for tourism, business, study (courses up to 6 months) and other permitted activities. If you are from a country included in the ‘visa national list’, you will have to apply for a visitor visa before travelling to the UK. The Home Office provides a full list of countries whose nationals need a visa. There are currently 112 countries listed; however, for some of those countries (for example, China, Indonesia, Kuwait, South Africa or Turkey), exceptions are provided. One of the main exceptions is being a national of a country, for example, Turkey and being a holder of a diplomatic passport.

If your country appears on the Home Office’s visa national list and you do not satisfy any exceptions, you will need to apply for a visa to enter the UK. When applying for a UK visitor visa, you must show that you meet all the necessary requirements, including demonstrating that you hold sufficient funds.

Along with meeting other requirements for a UK visitor visa, you must demonstrate that you hold sufficient funds to cover your stay. Although there is no fixed minimum amount set by the Home Office, you must show that your bank balance can cover a variety of expenses that you will be making on the trip. This can include funds used to cover your travel and accommodation expenses as well as your general spending budget. The necessary funds will depend on the length and type of your trip. For example, if you are travelling to London for a month and you will stay in a hotel, you need to demonstrate that you have enough funds to pay for your hotel and your expenses. Given the generally high costs of accommodation in London, the financial threshold for a month’s trip would be relatively high. If you are planning to visit the UK for a week and stay with your relative, the expected costs and funds which you will need to demonstrate would be significantly lower.

It is important to note that if a friend, relative or partner will cover your travel expenses, this will need to be evidenced in your visa application. For example, suppose a friend or a relative is hosting you. In that case, you should provide the Home Office with a copy of their ownership of the property or a copy of their tenancy agreement, as well as a letter from them confirming they are expecting your visit. If your friend, relative or partner will cover some of your expenses while in the UK or will provide you with some financial support to purchase your flight tickets to and from the UK, you should consider providing the Home Office with their financial information, such as copies of the bank statements (preferably from the last 3 months, prior to your application). Another thing to remember is that while applying for a UK visitor visa, you should not rely entirely on financial aid from your friend, family or partner. You should be able to demonstrate that you also have your own funds to rely on.

If you need help with your UK standard visitor visa, are unsure whether you have sufficient funds to cover your trip to the UK, or you are facing other issues with the application process, contact us today for advice.


bottom of page